Email marketing is dead! No one else uses email. If you think so too, then let’s take a closer look at this in more detail. In the field of expertise, email marketing has always been in great demand. Not a single launch of any product was complete without a large chain of emails and ads strategies for Shopify store with sales and pre-sales.
But is everything so smooth in online stores? Especially now, when it is believed that e-mail has faded into the background with the advent of cool social messengers and networks. Nice online store design and even the best e-commerce web development won’t do the magic without additional support.
Chain letters for efficient sales
You make an additional favourable offer to your customers who have already made a purchase. The buyer gets the goods that will be useful to him, from your tips, you will make additional sales. All remain in the black.
Usually, the discovery of such letters is 55%. 7% of recipients are converted into customers.
- You made 1000 sales per month with an average check of $ 100.
- Sent each customer a chain of letters with pre-sale goods for $ 50.
- 55% (550 people) of them opened letters; some of them will buy the goods offered over time.
- 7% of the total number (70 people) immediately took advantage of the offer.
- Out of the blue, you sold $ 3,500 more.
Agree, profitable action, given that you are working with an existing base.
Let’s start the chain itself:
Email#1 – Be grateful.
Time to send: immediately after the sale of the main product.
The client is still “hot”, so your offer is perceived much more brightly than in any other case. You can offer additional accessories or related products. Another option is to sell products from the same category but at a more favourable cost. Especially important during the promotions and sales of goods of a particular brand.
In most cases, the first letter is sent after sending the main product to the client to a physical address and payment on his part. It is logical because in this case the transaction is considered to be fully completed. But try to beat the situation a little. Send the first letter of the chain as soon as the customer places an order on the site. Then the buyer can order the related product and receive it with the main one in one package. You can increase the conversion by another 2-3%.
- Thanks. The customer has just made a purchase from you, so first of all, thank him for choosing.
- Information about the purchased product. Remind what the customer ordered. Give a product image, a brief description and cost.
- Selected shipping and payment method. Another reminder of the completed order.
- Unobtrusive offer. Hint to the recipient that you have a profitable offer for additional goods, and you will send the conditions in the next letter.
Email #2 – Interesting Offer.
Time to send: the day after the previous letter.
If in the previous message you were able to catch the attention of the client, then the person is waiting for this letter more than the continuation of the favourite series. This is the best effect. Because with high probability the client will take advantage of the “tasty” offer. Ask your e-commerce website developer to highlight it on the site.
- Greeting. Add a personal message here. Point out directly that you have kept your promise, and now it’s time for a super offer. Give a link to the page with additional products immediately after the first block. Be sure to add a call to action like “See the conditions right now.”
- The purpose of the letter. Specify specifically what products you offer. Attach an image and a brief description to each position. Indicate what the “salt” of the sentence is. If this is a discount, make the most advantageous offer. Give a really low price. Far below the market average.
- Time limit and call to action. Indicate that the offer will be valid only for a few days, so you need to act right now. Add another call link.
Email #3 – The last chance.
Time to send: 2 days after the previous one.
Most people who are interested in the offer will use it after the previous letter. But, by sending the 3rd message, you will increase the conversion by another 0.5-1.5%.
- Greeting. Here you can start immediately with a question. Create the illusion that you are really surprised why the client has not yet taken advantage of the offer. Example: “Hello, Tom! You have not made an order? ”. Add a link to the page with the action.
- The purpose of the letter. Show the promotional items again with all the information and indicate that this is the last chance. The offer is about to end.
- Call to action. Give the link to the page again and indicate that there is no more choice. Either now or never.
Email chain for abandoned baskets
Are you tracking visitors to the site? If so, then they definitely noticed that around 15% of the customers choose products, compare them with other options, carefully study, add to the basket and … Leave!
This is annoying, right?
But you can fix it with email marketing. Only 3 emails can increase your sales by 20-30% due to the return of users to abandoned baskets.
Interesting? Then let’s proceed:
Email #1- Reminder.
Time to send: 60-90 minutes after the visitor left the site.
The task of the letter – just to remind the visitor that the purchase is not completed. The action seems trivial, but it is it that brings the greatest profit. Yes, sometimes people really just forget that they have not completed the purchase.
The reminder should be unobtrusive. You have probably heard that aggressive email marketing is relevant now. This is a specific form of communication in which a person undergoes a pattern shift. Remember: a bold form of communication is NOT suitable for an online store, even if you are engaged in personal branding. Especially when it comes to the chain of letters for abandoned baskets.
- Greeting. Remind the customer who you are and what you do. Even if a person is long in your base, the action is necessary, because this is the beginning of a chain. You can specify the brand name in the subject line if there is enough space. Be sure to contact by name and greet the addressee. This letter is perceived as personal, therefore create a complete illusion of individual communication.
- The purpose of the letter. Explain to the client why you turned to him. Indicate directly that the transaction is not completed, but you have saved the order in the basket. Make it clear that by clicking on the link, the visitor can continue the purchase. Leave the call to action link immediately after this block.
- Enumeration of goods. Indicate with bullets what products were left in the basket. Add photos and a short description of each position. Be sure to include the cost of each product and the total amount of the order.
- Ways of delivery and payment. Remind the customer that buying in your store is not only profitable but also as convenient as possible.
- Time limit Add a call to action and argue that the product is running out of stock or the cost will rise soon. Your stock is clearly not infinite, so, in fact, you are not lying. Add another link to the call basket.
Email #2 – Special conditions.
Time to send: 24 hours after the previous letter.
The task of the letter is to offer the client “sweet” conditions, which will be foolish to refuse. This may be a discount on goods abandoned in a basket, additional gifts, a discount on the next purchases. Our Shopify web agency advice you to think in advance what you can offer to customers in such situations.
- Greeting. It’s not necessary to remind your company a second time. Just greet the reader again and refer by name.
- The purpose of the letter. Remind once again that the goods are still in the basket and you store them. Tell me what to do this for a long time can not. Here use the “hook” in the form of special offers. Add a call to action and a link to the cart.
- Enumeration of goods. Add images, descriptions and prices. If you offer a discount on the purchase, specify how much the client will save on each position as a percentage and/or a specific amount.
- Call to action and time limit. Indicate that after 2-3 days the offer is cancelled. You can use the timer in the letter. Argue the sentence correctly. For example, the fact that you sell the latest products of this type in stock. Mention that this is a unique opportunity to get selected products not only at a discount but in general. Add a link with a direct call.
Email #3 – The last chance.
Time to send: 2 days after the previous letter.
The task of the letter is to indicate that the goods will be removed from the shopping cart and to limit it to the maximum time possible. This letter, like others, must be 100% truthful. If you say that the basket will be empty in an hour, then, having entered after 61 minutes, the person should see a blank page.
- Greeting. Call by name.
- The purpose of the letter. The main unit. Indicate here that time expires in N minutes or hours. Special offer is no longer relevant. Add a call to action and a link.
- Enumeration of goods. Photos, description and cost.
- Call to action. Here is a link to the basket.
Emails for direct sales, depending on the temperature of the audience
These are single letters that are sent to users regularly, for example, once a month or 2 weeks. Depending on the temperature of the segment, the essence of the letters changes. You can find leverage on your customers and make suggestions based on this information.
Emails to the hot segment
These are people who have already bought something from you. If the quality of your product and service matches the customer’s request, they are ready to take advantage of new offers. Therefore, the task of the letter is to tell the addressee about new arrivals:
- If you are selling goods, tell us that the catalogue has been updated.
- If you sell your products – offer to get acquainted with new products, and better – with whole lines. In this case, the conversion will be much higher.
Emails for the warm segment
Visitors to the store who are interested in products and are waiting for an opportunity to purchase. The most obvious trigger, in this case, is the price. Offer customers the most favourable conditions. This will clearly affect the decision of a large part of the audience.
Variants of offers:
- Single discount offers for individual brands or product categories.
- Regular promotions and discounts. Variants of carrying out – every month, every 2 weeks, every week.
Emails for the cold segment
People who have just come to you and are beginning to be interested in the range. Discounts and new arrivals to entice such an audience is very difficult. A good option – the exclusivity of the goods.
- Point out products that are really hard to find in your area if you are resale.
- Offer to buy something that is not in the main catalogue if you sell goods of your own production.
Our Shopify agency showed you above the strategies are “honed” for online shopping, but if you sell knowledge or services, you can be creative and adjust the ideas of emails.
You may have an email marketer or Shopify developer in your company whom you fully trust in your work. But you definitely need at least basic knowledge in this industry to analyze the results and control the processes. In this situation, we are ready to assist!