How to create a site – probably the first question that arises in every new webmaster. After all, the basis used to create your site will determine the progress and growth of your online project. Therefore, it is important to make a clear plan and explore every available option.
How to create a site in 5 steps:
- Come up with the idea of the site
- Register domain name
- Buy hosting
- Find a CMS
- Develop a growth strategy for the site
In this tutorial we will look at how to create a website using:
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- E-commerce scripts
- Website Designer
Each way is unique and has its pros and cons. We will try to highlight the most important aspects of creating websites to simplify the choice.
Here are 5 simple steps that cover everything you need to know about how to create a website:
Step 1: Create an idea for your site
First of all, before creating a website, you must decide what your website will be about. There are many ideas for websites. And if implemented correctly, they can make a lot of money on the Internet.
Begin by defining your main goal and the functionality you would like to get. The most popular types of sites are:
- Sites of e-commerce. Internet shops are one of the most visited sites. The popularity of dropshipping is growing rapidly, everyone has the opportunity to start a business online. You can sell both digital and physical products to a huge audience from around the world (which would not be so easy in a real store).
- Blogs. Many successful webmasters began their journey with a simple search query: how to create a blog. Covering a wide range of topics, blogging can be either a business (e.g., affiliate program, reviews, niche blogs) or a leisure oriented activity (travel, food, music, books).
- Educational sites. Do you have a specific skill? Why not create your own digital courses or a private website. If you are a big fan of a particular hobby or skill, creating an educational website can help you prove yourself as an expert in your niche.
- News sites. In this era of online chaos, launching a news site is easier than ever before. People are looking for information every day through different sources. If you are interested in bringing information to the news, creating a website will make it much easier.
- Internet communities. The huge number of thriving Internet communities clearly shows that the most important thing is the beginning. Because building a large audience takes a long time, the sooner you start, the better.
- Portfolio. Demonstrating your skills and strengths can greatly improve your online presence. In addition, an online portfolio can be an advantage in interviews, contests and business transactions.
If you have a clear goal – to choose the right platform for hosting and create a website will be much easier.
Step 2: Register your domain name
Before you create a website, you need to come up with a catchy name.
To get a domain name for your site, you need:
- Brainstorming of potential web site name ideas.
- Find and check the domain.
- Run a search by domain name.
- Select the best option(s).
- Complete your order and complete the domain registration.
For more information, read our complete guide on how to buy a domain name.
Step 3: Buy web hosting
The next step in creating your site is to choose the right host. There are different types of web hosting, you should consider the size of your online project to choose the right hosting.
Here at Hostinger, we offer 3 unique alternatives that serve sites of all shapes and sizes. Let’s take a quick look at each of them to determine which one is right for you.
The main idea of general hosting is to store multiple sites on one physical server.
Shared hosting is best for small and medium sites. This is the type of server that hosts multiple users. It can be compared to public transport, such as bus or train.
All sites use the same pool of resources from the same physical server. This unique installation is more affordable but also has stricter restrictions. Using our analogy, it is like ensuring a smooth ride for each passenger, but making sure that some of them do not use too many resources.
What will you get?
Shared hosting offers many tools to help you make a website:
- Installer in 1 click. Easy setup of the most popular tools such as e-commerce scripts, content management systems, blog platforms, forum software and much more!
- Access control. If there are several people working on the project, you will have to share your personal account data and this can be a problem. Avoid this by opening services of your choice without sharing any personal information!
- FTP/File managers. Easily edit your files, directories, write code with File Managers. Or use your favorite FTP clients, such as FileZilla.
- Weekly backups. Get automatic backups of files and databases in the Control Panel. Store up to 3 unique backups!
- The manager of the cache. Caching allows your site to bypass many PHP requests by generating static pages. Faster sites, happier visitors, better results!
- Free domain registration. If you choose a Premium or Business annual plan, we will install the domain for free for the first year.
- Powerful control panel. We’ve created our own control panel to help you manage everything as efficiently as possible. Check out this demo.
One of our newest additions is cloud hosting, it is as simple as shared hosting, but has the capabilities of a virtual server.
Cloud hosting is like a hybrid car: you get both power and comfort.
With cloud computing technology, this solution ensures maximum uptime by storing a copy of your site on multiple physical servers that work together. In the event of a failure of one of the servers, the rest of the cluster ensures the work.
What will you get?
In addition to each item of shared hosting you will also receive:
- Dedicated IP address. The IP assigned to your server will be unique and provided exclusively to you.
- Separate resources. Compared to shared hosting, the resources you get from the cloud will be fully allocated to you and no one else.
- Free Lifetime SSL certificate. Keep your visitor data safe! As HTTPS becomes a new Internet standard, it is important to keep up with the latest practices.
- Integration with CloudFlare. Add an extra layer of protection against DDoS, WAF, monitoring tools and more.
If we talk about virtual private server, VPS is a unique alternative to web hosting, which gives more control and freedom. Although this requires skills in server management and knowledge of the basics.
Virtual servers are very flexible and customizable if you have enough knowledge.
What will you get?
- Dedicated IP. Each VPS gets a unique IP address that you will not share with anyone else.
- Installing the OS in 1 click. Use the right operating system from a wide range of the best Linux distributions.
- Pictures of the server (snapshots). Protect your files and server settings with the automatic backup/recovery function.
- Separate resources. Every drop of resource is in your hands. No other user can connect to your resources.
- The freedom to build their own environment. Root-access allows you to configure your own software solutions and manage different settings on the server side.
Step 4: Choose a platform and create your website
Now the real work begins. The process of creating your website depends largely on the foundation you choose.
Although in general, it is better to choose one of the following rishay for the development of the site:
- Content management systems. Best suited for blogs and sites that publish many articles/content. Some well-known examples include WordPress, Joomla, Drupal.
- E-commerce scripts. As the name implies, if you want to create an online store, this is exactly the software that will help you. Some of them include PrestaShop, Magento, WooCommerce.
- Website designers. An easy way to create a website without programming skills. The interface, which works on the principle of drag and drop elements, includes a huge number of configuration functions.
- Self-written sites. If you know about web development, the creation of a self-written site (written from scratch without using ready-made solutions such as CMS) is also a good idea. Although this will require more time and effort, you can implement any unique function.
How to create a website with WordPress
With the title of the most popular content management system in the world (English), WordPress gives its users the opportunity to create sites of any type. Although many people use it for blogging, anything can be done with this platform – from an online store to a review site – using a wide range of configuration functions and plugins.
The main advantages of choosing WordPress as the platform for your website:
- Programming skills are almost unnecessary. But if you know the basics of web development – these skills will surely be useful!
- One of the most affordable options. WordPress offers one of the largest free libraries of plugins and themes. Beautiful design and sophisticated features in just a few clicks.
- Extensive documentation and a huge community. Thanks to the huge community of developers and enthusiastic bloggers behind WordPress, you can find solutions and answers faster.
With Hostinger, installing WordPress is as easy as possible. The latest version of the script is available in our Auto-Insstaller tool.